Formula Vee’s emergence dates back to the 1950’s when multiple individuals started to recognize the platform as a viable and affordable race car. Hubert Brundage, an avid sportsman and businessman, Josef Hoppen, a German mechanic, and later George Smith and William Duckworth, modified or built a race car on the Volkswagen platform. These included the Formula Junior, its off-spring built by Enrico Nardi (the “Nardi”) and the Formcar.
Over the course of a decade, the design continued to be finetuned by the likes of Ray Caldwell, Gene Beach, and Formcar’s team of Smith and Duckworth. By 1962, Vees were present at SCCA’s southeastern venues and beating out some established classes. Because Smith was on the Board of Governors at SCCA, by 1963, Formula Vee became an official racing class, and in 1964 a national class.